I have struggled a little with how to write this one, seeing as everyone who is reading this was there at the party, so I will beg your indulgence as in large part this blog is my way of writing a diary for Kail.
I few months back Jordan and I decided to have a birthday party for Kail. As he is only a year old we are well aware that he would have no idea what was going on, but I've always thought birthdays should be a big deal so what the heck.
We decided to go with a monster theme, as a tongue in cheek joke knowing that Kail is far from a monster baby, quite the opposite actually. We thought turned out pretty cute.
First on the agenda was my crazy idea to cultivate a new baking hobby. Jordan will attest that I may have gone just a bit crazy at this point (he would probably leave out the "a bit" part of that sentence). I blame the chronic lack of sleep. As I've never been much of cook (my mother really did try to teach me but there was this cookie episode which involved a cup of salt and a cup of baking soda and my mom getting really sick. I also have the astonishing ability to mess up something as easy as Kraft Mac and Cheese) so the idea of not only decorating a cake for my kid to just smash up but to actually make home made frosting for 48 cupcakes was . . . daunting. Oh and then there was the obsession with making them multiple colors. So (and I'm not exaggerating here ) weeks of Saturdays were spent with me trying out buttercream frosting recipes. Trust me when I say you are all very grateful you didn't have to eat the first batch of cupcakes which looked like they had leprosy. In the end though I think I finally figured it out, and unless you are all lying to me, I think they turned out OK. I have to thank Grandma Pace (I love you mom!) for spending hours on her feet in my kitchen the day before the party, mixing frosting and constantly cleaning up after me as I cemented my insanity over this project.
Of course when any party like this actually does arrive its a little like Christmas. Lots of planning and set up, and an hour later you get to clean up the whirlwind. As expected Kail didn't understand anything that was going on, and was confused that we actually wanted him to rip paper. (Kail has only ripped paper once, it was his favorite book, and he promptly started sobbing until I fixed it with tape). I'm proud to say that due to all my prep work with frosting he knew exactly what to do with his cake. I want to thank Grandpa Larry for all the cute pictures of Kail from the party. Of course he was so overwhelmed by the number of people his crazy mother decided to stuff in a tiny room (I swear the room was way more packed then the pictures make it look, sorry everyone), that he stared stoically the entire time with not one smile to be had. I know everyone is shocked that he, like his dad, doesn't like crowds. That being said I want to assure you that all of the generous, wonderful gifts you brought have succeeded in turning our living room into a disaster zone, and he loves playing with all of them!
This picture is proof that he may not have smiled at the party but he did have a good day.
Kails clothes of course did not survive the cake, but that was to be expected.
We want to THANK YOU all for coming and celebrating our little ones birthday with us. We are always so surprised and overwhelmed with all of the support you all provide. We are so grateful Kail receives so much love from both sides of his family.
As a final note, just because I think he is adorable on it. He got a dragon rocker from his mom and dad, just one more toy that sings and will probably end up driving us nuts, but this kid loves to rock.



No comments:
Post a Comment